Fast Facts About Markham
What to know about living in Markham.
Population (2020): 338,503
- Toronto, ON: 49 min
- Vaughan, ON: 24 min
- Richmond Hill, ON: 21 min
- Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport: 28.1 km
Median income (2020):
- Individual: $45,184 CAD
- Household: $89,028 CAD
County: Regional municipality of York
Type of location: municipality
Why is Markham, ON a Nice Place to Live?
Living in Markham gives residents a culturally diverse environment with almost half of all residents being born outside of Canada. It’s close proximity to Toronto and lower cost of living makes it an attractive living option for commuters. Great schools, a low crime rate and plenty of green spaces make Markham an ideal location for families.
What is Markham, ON Known For?
Markham is York’s largest community, the fourth most populous city in the Greater Toronto Area and the 14th largest in all of Canada.
Markham is known as being a center of industry. The city is home to 650 corporate headquarters and 1,500 high tech and life science companies including IBM, AMD, Hyundai, Motorola, Oracle and Huawei. It was named one of Canada’s best employers by Forbes magazine in 2022. The IBM Innovation Space – Markham Convergence Centre is a hotbed of cutting-edge developments in products and consumer solutions.
Markham is also home to the oldest and largest community-based volunteer organization, the Markham Fair which is held annually and features an array of entertainment.
Living in Markham can give you a glimpse of Canada’s past. The city of Markham has made great strides to preserve its rich history. It is home to Canada’s first heritage subdivision, a group of homes that have been relocated and preserved for residents.
Outdoor enthusiasts will appreciate exploring Rouge National Urban Park, the largest urban park in North America.
What Are the Best Restaurants in Markham, ON?
Some of the restaurants you can enjoy while living in Markham, ON with the highest-rated Google reviews include:
- Peter’s Fine Dining, wood-paneled formal steakhouse with a lengthy wine list, plus sauces & salads prepared tableside
- The School Restaurant, steaks & seafood served in an elegantly appointed, restored schoolhouse with a piano lounge & patio
- Smash Kitchen & Bar, stylish establishment with a patio featuring a modern take on classic comfort dishes & cocktails
- The Keg Steakhouse + Bar, classic steak & seafood dishes are the mainstays at this stylish yet casual chain restaurant
- Zen Japanese Restaurant, zen-like dining space featuring refined Japanese sushi selections, plus 3-course meal specials
- Joey Markville, relaxed, contemporary dining spot with a broad menu featuring international & regional dishes
- Folco’s Ristorante, serene, sophisticated fixture for house-made pasta, premium sauces & refined Italian classics
- Dragon Legend, buffet spot serving a wide selection of Pan-Asian dishes, with weekly Chinese cultural events
- Old Curiosity Tea Shop, high tea & English fare such as Welsh rarebit served on fine china in Victorian surroundings
- Mandarin Restaurant, featuring lunch and dinner buffet daily